Manhattan is usually the primary vacation spot inside New York Metropolis that guests head to—and it’s typically the busiest of town’s 5 boroughs.
As a serious monetary and commerce hub, with numerous neighborhoods and world-famous landmarks, out-of-towners can come throughout many locations in Manhattan for sightseeing, eating, and buying. Right here’s an introductory journey information to Manhattan.
What To Know When Visiting
A number of the finest useful resource guides on Manhattan are native newspapers, video and on-line blogs, and NYC & Company, town’s tourism board.
The very first thing to know when visiting Manhattan is to grasp how one can get round. Geographically, a lot of Manhattan goes by what’s often called the Grid. Established by the Commissioners’ Plan of 1811, in response to town’s swelling progress of inhabitants, the Grid is a structure plan that was developed going northward, from above Houston Road to then one hundred and fifty fifth Road.
It really works like this. Manhattan’s avenues run north (uptown) to south (downtown) and streets run east to west (crosstown). The center portion of Manhattan is mostly known as Midtown.
A lot of the streets are numbered, with 1st avenue beginning on the east aspect of Manhattan after which ascending as they go to the west aspect (which ends with twelfth avenue) or uptown.
Exceptions embody cross streets equivalent to Broadway and Columbus, Lexington, Park and Madison avenues. sixth Avenue is extra so known as the Avenue of the Americas. Earlier than 14th Road, streets go extra by names and might be routed in a different way.
Finest Time To Go
Autumn might be one of the crucial lovely instances to go to Manhattan, because the season ushers in occasions equivalent to Village Halloween Parade and New York Comedian Con and fall foliage. But probably the most well-known time to go to Manhattan is across the vacation season, to view the Rockefeller Christmas Tree and different festively embellished venues.
Winter can gradual the tempo of Manhattan down, the place there are numerous tourism promotions to encourage extra foot visitors. Nonetheless, it is best to decorate in layers as temperatures can range.
Summer season is usually a busy season, however the climate will get fairly sizzling and humid. Crowds can collect for Macy’s 4th of July Fireworks Spectacular or wait in line for tickets to Shakespeare within the Park at Central Park’s Delacorte Theatre.
Often, January and February are wintry chilly months, however they may very well be cost-saving. Throughout this time of 12 months, particular low cost promotions might be provided via NYC & Firm, town’s tourism board, or particular charges provided via accommodations.
Finest Methods To Get Round
There are a variety of how to get round Manhattan. Strolling is usually a high choice however taxicabs and Uber are different alternate options. Citi Bike, a motorcycle rental share program, is one other alternative however taking public transit is quite common.
Run by MTA, New York City’s subway treks all around Manhattan. This underground transit community encompasses stops at stations positioned all through the borough.
Now via at the very least 2024, the MTA MetroCard can be utilized as a young for getting into the subway system, solely requiring a single swipe; as of January 2023, the fee is $2.75, however it’s topic to extend. If shopping for a brand new MetroCard, there may be an extra $1 charge on high of the pay-per-ride quantity bought, however the card might be reused and refilled.
The MTA has begun implementing OMNY, a contactless cost system that works by tapping a credit score or debit card or sensible machine with a digital pockets onto a reader. It costs the identical present fare value.
Every subway line has a color-coded letter or quantity with particular routes; some intertwine with others. Whereas their set routes are displayed on maps, they are often altered at instances due to required monitor upkeep, weekend and vacation schedules, or sudden modifications.
Use Google Maps and consult with MTA Weekender for mapping out and checking the standing of subway routes. MTA additionally runs the general public bus system, which additionally takes OMNY and MetroCard.
The place to Keep In Manhattan
From high-end accommodations, to main resort chains, to boutique properties, Manhattan has many lodging options.
Some guests might select to remain in Midtown, attributable to its proximity to Grand Central Terminal and different main spots, however take into account staying in one other Manhattan neighborhood to get a unique perspective. Listed here are a few of the top-ranked accommodations in Manhattan.
- Deal with: 230 E 51st St, New York, NY 10022
- Facilities: Outside backyard and rooftop deck. Be aware that some rooms have non-public loos, however there are a number of shared loos on each ground.
- Deal with: 570 Tenth Ave at W forty second St, New York, NY 10036
- Facilities: Hip environment, rooftop restaurant and health middle.
- Deal with: 2130 Broadway, New York, NY 10023
- Facilities: Situated close to Higher West Aspect points of interest together with Central Park, Beacon Theatre, the American Museum of Pure Historical past and Lincoln Heart.
- Deal with: 511 Lexington Ave, New York, NY 10017
- Facilities: On-site Starbucks, bar, health middle and pet-friendly rooms.
- Deal with: 455 Madison Ave, New York, NY 10022
- Facilities: On-site salon providers, health middle, dog-friendly, 24-hour laundry and dry cleansing and “Solely At The Palace” experiences.
- Deal with: 438 W thirty third St, New York, NY 10001
- Facilities: Foyer bar, on-site restaurant, concierge workforce and a 24/7 Health Heart and Motion Studio.
A bagel is a well-known New York Metropolis order.
Manhattan’s Finest Eateries
Eating in Manhattan can please any urge for food, with NYC classics, wonderful eating, cuisines from cultures everywhere in the world, or stylish dishes.
Newcomers and longtime institutions spherical out this combine. Most might require superior reservations that may be accomplished through their web site or reserving providers equivalent to OpenTable or Resy.
Begin your morning with a bagel with schmear from common bagel outlets equivalent to Ess-a-Bagel, Murray’s Bagels, Black Seed Bagels, and Tompkins Sq. Bagels.
Pizza is synonymous with NYC with locations to order from topic to desire. Relying on the place vacationers go, they’ll order slices and/or complete pies. Excessive-ranking spots in Manhattan embody Prince Road Pizza, Joe’s Pizza, Rubirosa, Lombardi’s, Pronto’s, and John’s Of Bleecker Road.
Delis are an NYC establishment, in serving specialties equivalent to pastrami on rye and egg lotions. Whereas Katz’s Delicatessen is on many a customer’s checklist, different good Manhattan delis embody Sarge’s and 2nd Avenue Deli.
Manhattan has the oldest eating places in New York Metropolis. They embody Fraunces Tavern in Decrease Manhattan, whose roots return to the time of the American Revolutionary Battle; Delmonico’s, inside the Monetary District and with previous clients together with Mark Twain; Outdated Homestead, the longest persevering with working steakhouse in America; and PJ Clarke’s, which was based in 1884. Additionally inside this checklist, Eager’s Steakhouse has some fascinating decor. Its ceiling is adorned with clay smoking pipes belonging to their membership members.
Meals halls are additionally a preferred development. Amongst them, Chelsea Market is the previous location of the Nabisco Cookie Firm. This one-time manufacturing unit now holds numerous eateries and retail companies. Different Manhattan meals halls embody City Hawker, Essex Road Market and the Market Line, The Hugh, Urbanspace at 570 Lex, Mott Road Eatery, and Tin Constructing by Jean-Georges.
Issues To Do
Whereas Manhattan has a lot to supply guests, listed here are just a few must-dos.
Go to Broadway Play or Musical
Attending a Broadway present is a should, as many musicals and performs are placed on at theaters inside or off of Occasions Sq.. Scorching tickets can lengthen to “Hamilton,” “Depraved” and “Six: The Musical.”
Study extra concerning the historical past of theater in NYC at The Museum of Broadway, additionally positioned in Occasions Sq.. Then spend a while in Occasions Sq., a serious vacationer attraction.
The Museum of Broadway tells of the historical past of theater in New York Metropolis via a timeline of occasions after which rooms filled with props, costumes, and different memorabilia from musical and drama productions that had been groundbreaking.
- Admission: Beginning at $29 with a versatile entry admission at $29
- Deal with: 145 W forty fifth St, New York, NY 10036
Go to a Museum
Manhattan’s museums middle on artwork, historical past and different fascinating matters. Vacationers can spend a complete day at The Metropolitan Museum of Art, whose assortment holds over 5,000 years of artwork from around the globe.
It’s positioned alongside Fifth Avenue on Manhattan’s Higher East Aspect in “Museum Mile” that features El Museo del Barrio, the Museum of the Metropolis of New York and the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum.
Different noteworthy artwork museums embody the Whitney Museum of American Artwork and the Museum of Trendy Artwork.
The American Museum of Pure Historical past on the Higher West Aspect has an unimaginable dinosaur wing; it’s throughout the road from the New York Historic Society. On the Decrease East Aspect, the Tenement Museum is inside a real-life tenement that tells the tales of the individuals who as soon as lived right here. The Nationwide Sept. 11 Memorial and Museum commemorates the assaults on this fateful day in 2001 together with the 1993 bombing of the World Commerce Heart.
- Admission: $30 for adults; $22 for seniors; $17 for college kids; New York State residents and New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut college students pay as they want
- Deal with:1000 fifth Ave, New York, NY 10028
- Admission: Tickets begin at $25 for adults and $18 for seniors, college students and guests with a incapacity. Museum admission is Pay What You Want on Fridays, 7–10 pm.
- Deal with: 99 Gansevoort St, New York, NY 10014
- Admission: Tickets begin at $25 for adults and $18 for seniors and guests with a incapacity, and $14 for college kids with an ID.
- Deal with: 11 W 53rd St, New York, NY 10019
- Admission: $28 adults, $22 college students with ID and seniors, $16 youngsters ages 3-12. Pay as you want for New York, New Jersey or Connecticut residents.
- Deal with: 200 Central Park West, New York, NY 10024
- Admission: Beginning at $30
- Deal with: 103 Orchard St, New York, NY 10002
- Admission: Beginning at $29 adults, $17 youth, $23 for younger adults, faculty college students with ID and seniors
- Deal with: 180 Greenwich St, New York, NY 10007
Head to an Statement Deck
See New York Metropolis in a different way from up above. Presently, Manhattan has 5 year-round remark decks. Every has a unique tackle town skyline.
The Empire State Building is the lengthy timer of this bunch, as this landmark NYC skyscraper has each its unique 86th-floor observatory and 102nd-floor observatory. The constructing additionally has exhibition areas highlighting totally different durations of its historical past since its opening in 1931.
Top of the Rock, which is positioned 70 flooring above Rockefeller Heart, has three ranges of indoor and outside remark decks. Starting in February 2023, the mezzanine stage and the remark decks can be below development, however the venue will stay open.
Situated between the one hundredth and 102nd flooring of the One World Commerce Heart, One World Observatory affords views from an indoor climate-controlled area. There’s additionally a restaurant, ONE Dine, and bar, ONE Combine, on the one hundred and first ground, with New York-inspired menus.
Situated at Hudson Yards, The Edge is alleged to be the best outside sky deck within the Western Hemisphere. It’s suspended over 1,100 toes up with 7,500 sq. toes of outside area. Its glass ground has guests trying 100 tales down, whereas angled glass partitions lean over town. There’s additionally the chance to scale the skin of this skyscraper, then lean out and look down.
SUMMIT One Vanderbilt opened in 2021 and places a spin on the which means of an observance deck. Summit One Vanderbilt is described as a three-level multisensory artwork immersion the place, first on the 91st ground, guests encounter an exhibit referred to as Air by Kenzo Digital that is filled with floating balloon-like orbs.
Then on the 92nd ground, there’s a glass-bottom ledge extending 1,100 toes over Madison Avenue. On the 93rd ground, there’s a Nordic-themed café and a glass-bottom exterior elevator.
Empire State Constructing
- Admission: Beginning at $44 adults, $38 youngsters and $42 seniors
- Deal with: 20 W thirty fourth St., New York, NY 10001
High of the Rock
- Admission: Tickets begin with common admission at $40 adults, $34 youngsters and $38 seniors
- Deal with: 30 Rockefeller Plaza, New York, NY 10112
One World Observatory
- Admission: Ticket ranges begin at tandard at $43 for common admission.
- Deal with: 117 West St, New York, NY 10006
- Admission: Ticket ranges begin at common admission at adults (on-line, $38, in individual, $40), youngsters (on-line, $33, in individual, $35) and seniors (on-line, $36, onsite, $38)
- Deal with: 30 Hudson Yards, New York, NY 10001
SUMMIT One Vanderbilt
- Admission: Ticket ranges begin $39 for common admission.
- Deal with: 45 E forty second St., New York, NY 10017
Go to a Park
Made well-known in motion pictures and on TV, Central Park is one of Manhattan’s top attractions. It sits in the midst of the Higher East and Higher West sides and is residence to a zoo, numerous statues and gardens, a fort, bridges, and meadows. Whereas many wander across the park on their very own, guided walks led by park employees are held usually.
Washington Sq. Park in Greenwich Village is smaller than most NYC parks nevertheless it has the well-known Washington Sq. Arch and relies close to a lot of the neighborhood’s exercise.
Bryant Park, proper behind the New York Public Library, holds occasions equivalent to an annual vacation market with an ice skating rink and a film evening sequence in the summertime.
The High Line is a public inexperienced area on what was as soon as a freight rail line with its path going to and from the Chelsea/Meatpacking District to Hudson Yards. Riverside Park is on Manhattan’s Higher West Aspect and had a scene within the movie, “You’ve Acquired Mail.”
Fashionable Neighborhoods In Manhattan
Manhattan consists of many neighborhoods various in what they’re recognized for. Most might be reached by subway together with a bus, cab and Uber.
Chinatown is a vibrant neighborhood with tea outlets, bakeries, grocery markets, and eating places and eateries reflecting the range of Asian cuisines equivalent to Cantonese. Attempt dumplings, dim sum, Peking duck, steamed rice rolls, congee, and pork buns.
Prompt spots embody Nom Wah Tea Parlor, Hop Kee, Mott Road Eatery, and the Unique Chinatown Ice Cream Manufacturing facility. It’s additionally the situation of a Lunar New 12 months Parade, which rings on this vacation season.
The Decrease East Aspect was as soon as residence to arriving immigrants and has grow to be a stylish neighborhood recognized for hip eating places and funky avenue artwork.
A lot of its historical past referring to these of the Jewish religion who got here to reside within the Decrease East Aspect continues to be distinguished at Russ & Daughters, a Jewish appetizing retailer that additionally has a separate café, and Yonah Schimmel’s Knishery, which is understood for his or her knishes. Different locations to see embody Economic system Sweet, Sugar Candy Sunshine Bakery, Soiled Sweet, and Essex Market.
The Apollo Theater
Harlem is wealthy in Black historical past, which might be skilled in some ways. Attend a efficiency on the Apollo Theater or go to the Schomberg Heart for Analysis in Black Tradition. The Abyssinian Baptist Church permits the general public to attend a worship service however be aware to decorate modestly and apply respectful observance.
Attempt soul meals at Sylvia’s Restaurant, Melba’s, Amy Ruth’s, or, for vegans, Seasoned Vegan. One other well-known Harlem restaurant is Purple Rooster Harlem by movie star chef Marcus Samuelsson. Jazz golf equipment are additionally common equivalent to Invoice’s Place and Minton’s Playhouse.
SoHo is a stylish buying neighborhood nevertheless it additionally has unimaginable forged iron buildings and artwork galleries. The East Village has a gritty legacy nevertheless it’s seen as a cool place to be. Fashionable spots in East Village embody McSorley’s Outdated Ale Home, Demise & Firm, Nuyorican Poets Cafe, and E book Membership Bar.
Little Italy offers off a touristy vibe however crowds nonetheless come out each September for the Feast of San Gennaro Competition. Vacationers may nonetheless discover old-school Italian eating at Benito One, Umberto’s Clam Home, and Lunella. After dinner, purchase a cannoli from Ferrara or Caffe Palermo.
How To Spend A Excellent Day In Manhattan
The proper day in Manhattan comes all the way down to what vacationers most take pleasure in concerning the metropolis. Heading over to the Empire State Building for a tour might be a should for many guests, particularly these on their first journey to New York.
However some adventurers might need to spend a meandering afternoon in Central Park, whereas others will need to pattern breakfast, lunch, and dinner at restaurants that can hold their own against Brooklyn’s offerings.
No matter guests resolve to do, the reminiscences are nicely value planning a trip to Manhattan.
Q: Is Manhattan Secure?
As with all main metropolis, crime can happen. In Manhattan, it’s finest to remain conscious of 1’s environment and safeguard valuables. Keep away from sporting something flashy or costly trying.
Within the night, keep close to well-lit areas particularly round ones with eating places and nightspots. Additionally at evening, keep away from strolling whereas sporting headphones or alongside aspect streets or residential streets as they’re often quieter and darker at evening.
The identical recommendation applies to the subway. Often, it’s crowded throughout rush hour (often from 8 to 10 am) after which the night crowd (from 5 to 7 pm). For security causes, attempt to not stand proper up in opposition to the platform.
Attempt to keep away from taking the subway late at evening, as there are fewer folks round and trains can run slower. Should you nonetheless need to go, attempt to get right into a subway automotive that has different folks or is close to the onboard subway conductor. Take an Uber or taxi as an alternative. Should you’re approached by panhandlers, keep away from eye contact and preserve strolling.
Q: How can I get monetary savings whereas seeing Manhattan?
Manhattan might be costly, however listed here are some money-saving suggestions.
- With consuming out, search for specials or go throughout pleased hours for reductions on food and drinks. Drug shops may assist with saving cash on drinks equivalent to bottled water. Lunch is usually a great time to dine as mixture orders might be filling however simpler on the pockets.
- Sure meals might be extra wallet-friendly equivalent to a slice of pizza or a serving of dumplings or empanadas, or take into account buying at a grocery retailer with pre-made meals. Within the winter and summer season months, NYC Restaurant Week has eating places providing pre-fixe lunch and/or dinner menus that usually embody three programs. They will embody ones in Manhattan in addition to in Queens, Brooklyn, the Bronx, and Staten Island.
- Most eating places can take debit and bank cards but some companies might require a spending minimal. With common eating places, e book reservations upfront instantly with them or through reserving websites equivalent to OpenTable or Resy.
- As for museums and different public venues, learn up on their customer hours and insurance policies beforehand; some could also be closed on sure days. Some might have pay-as-you-wish admission at instances or free admission days. The NYC CityPass contains one-time admission to the Empire State Building, the American Museum of Natural History, and different high NYC points of interest.
Q: What’s Manhattan NY recognized for?
Manhattan is understood for its tradition, leisure, and artwork. Highlights embody immersive art experiences, nice meals (including gelato), and dives into historical past—just like the Manhattan Project.